Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cue Muppet Flail

MD Anderson called today. I have been waiting for this call for weeks, but wasn't expecting it until the middle of next week. So imagine my surprise when I was standing at the register at the Target Pharmacy, paying for my prescriptions when my phone rang and I saw it was them... I, quite literally, started shaking. 

Jenny, the pharmacist, was so wonderful. She rang up my purchases, did everything she could to help me, handed me paper and pen, and then, when I was off the phone and breaking down, she came out and just held me, telling me how much they've all come to love and care about our family, and that she knows everything is going to work out. Because I was so upset, she offered to call Hans to come get me, or she would shut the pharmacy down and drive me anywhere I needed/wanted to go. I can't even begin to express how much that meant to me - that someone who barely knows me, cares enough to do so much....

But I digress, I just had to tell you all how wonderful Jenny (and James!!) at the Target on West Esplande in Kenner are. They really are just fantastic people.

Back to MDA...

So anyway, Claire, a sweet girl in the internal medicine department, is the one that called. She was so calm and patient with me, accepting my freaking out as just par for the course! She told me that the doctor had just come back into town yesterday, and that he wants to see me at his next available appointment, which is June 4th at 9AM. He's already ordered bloodwork, a CT scan and a fine needle aspiration biopsy. As soon as she mentioned the biopsy, I lost it. I think I may have mentioned it here before - those things scare the ever loving crap out of me. The first one was bad enough, and in those days, I had no idea what the needles looked like, or what they were doing. Now, though, I do. I've worked with those needles. The fear I feel for them, while irrational, is incredible. Overpowering.

I have to admit, the level of urgency that this appointment was scheduled with scares me a bit. Dr. Sherman just got back to work yesterday. By 10AM this morning, he had already reviewed my records, ordered the tests, and told his staff to book me for his next available appointment. Part of me thinks that that's just how they operate, but there's that other part of me that knows I'm not the only patient coming across his desk, which is why they told me it would be 7 days before they called.... And he's The Best. He is The Name in Thyroid Cancer. He helped write the guidelines on treating this disease. He knows his stuff....

So anyway, there's the update of the moment, at least the best my brain can manage. I'm scared and excited and relieved all at once. This is a hugs step, and every time I see that I'm being taken seriously, after so many years of being ignored, it feels like a simultaneous kick in the gut and pat on the head....


2 comments:

Mairead said...

Doctors are SUPPOSED to take you seriously and act in a timely fashion -- this is a good sign. I'm cheering for you! (BTW, this is Bastet0330 from Rav.)

Tine said...

People are the bestest. You are in good hands, and with any type of cancer quick action is double action.

Kudos to you for going in even if you hate-hate-hate needles.

(BTW I'm Ditmar from Rav)