Sunday, May 06, 2012

Dr. Ivan Rosado

I have a statcounter here on my blog, so I can see when some people visit, and if it's via a Google search, I can see that, and what they've searched for. I've noticed that, over the past six years, there have been a lot of you that have ended up on my blog by doing a search for Dr. Ivan Rosado in Orlando.

I would like to take this opportunity to say a few things about Dr. Rosado. First of all, he is an incredible surgeon. He did such a fantastic job with my thyroidectomy and removing the metastasis to my lymph nodes and parathyroid that I had no appreciable residual tissue, and was considered cancer free for a little over five years. Second, he is such a caring doctor. In my experience, surgeons, especially ones with tricky specialites, can be egotistical and have poor bedside manner. Not Dr. Rosado - he took all the time my husband and I needed to explain exactly what he was definitely going to do, what he might possibly have to do, and what he would not do. He explained all the risks, he outlined why he would take each course of action he would take. He came into pre-op before my surgery to talk with me, calm me down, and assure me that he was going to take good care of me. After the surgery, as I was in recovery, he went to my husband and told him everything, explaining all the details of the metastasis, all that he had had to do, and what my recovery would likely be like. Then, when I was fully awake again, he came back to the hospital to explain it all to me and be sure that I fully understood.

When, three days post op, I was hypocalcemic because he had had to take two of my parathyroids, he got me into the hospital right away. He wasn't the on-call that weekend, but he came in to get my treatment started (this happened on a Friday afternoon). On Sunday, when the on-call wouldn't agree to release me until Dr. Rosado had seen me the next day, one of the nurses on the ward called him. He came in, on one of his rare days off, to release me so that I wouldn't miss my daughter's first day of Kindergarten.

When it was time to check the incision and remove the remaining stitch (only one at one end that hadn't dissolved), he was gentle, and kind, making sure that I was comfortable. When it was time to come for my last appointment, he gave me a hug and told me he hoped to never have to see me again.

So, if you're reading my blog because you've googled Dr. Ivan Rosado in Altamonte, Florida, I say this - go to him. He is phenomenal. I may soon be doing a radical neck dissection for my recurrence (not recurred because of anything he did or did not do, but because of my age and the initial metastasis), and I have been seriously considering travelling back to Orlando from New Orleans to have him do it. Go to him. He is wonderful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your recent post. I am one of the "Googlers" that found your blog during my research of Dr. Rosado. I am scheduled for a TT with him on the 24th and am very anxious! I have a large, growing goiter (benign) that is causing some issues so it has to come out. I met with 4 doctors before I decided to to have the surgery and feel that Dr. Rosado is the best thyroid surgeon for me. I am not worried about the surgery itself but am panicking over what life will be like afterward. There are so many horror stories on the web! May I ask how long it took for you to get adjusted to the thyroid replacement? I have small children too and am afraid I won't feel "normal" ever again.

Kerry said...

You are very welcome! I was commenting to my husband about how great Dr. Rosado is the other day, and he's the one that suggested I write this post. People like you are why!

Life after thyroidectomy is going to be different for everyone. There are a few things that are given, though: Know that it will take time to heal; you should start feeling better within weeks of beginning thyroid hormone replacement, but full recovery of the thyroidectomy (as in, getting to the point of feeling completely normal, losing weight normally, not getting tired) can take up to two years. Personally, I was feeling a lot better in about 2 months.

One thing I cannot encourage enough is to make sure you have a very good, thyroid educated endocrinologist. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Dr. Andrew Martin out of Florida Hospital. Incredible man, takes his time and actually cares.

If you have any other questions, please, don't hesitate to ask!

--Kerry

Anonymous said...

Hello again! Just wanted to follow up to say I had the TT on May 24, 2012 and it went really well! I have had no issues so far, except for a little fatigue but hopefully that will go away since I've started Synthroid. I am very impressed with Dr. Rosado. He saved all 4 parathyroids and my incision is less than 2". I too will recommend him to anyone facing thyroid surgery.
Best of luck to you and your continued good health. -Kendra

Melissa Camacho said...

Im not sure if the long comment i just tried to post went through...please respond :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Kerry
Thank you so much for your post.....I've done my research and have heard wonderful things about Dr Rosado, mainly from his colleagues........It is reassuring hearing from his patients how extraordinary he treated you and I'm sure his patients.....I'm having surgery tomorrow and as normal have the butterflies....Having read this blog has calm my nerves and confirm I have made the right choice with Dr Rosado

Regards SPB